Having trouble reading this? Translate it to your native language!

Tuesday 3 June 2014

Show Report: Stonor Park. No Marijuana in Sight.



Stonor Park, home of stoners and VW fans. Based five minutes outside Henley-on-Thames, Oxfordshire which itself is 10 miles from Reading, Berkshire, Stonor Park hosted their annual VW Rally, attended by keen enthusiasts and is considered to be one of the biggest VW shows in the South East of England, second to the VolksWorld Show. It's arguably one of the most glamorous settings, on the grounds of a great whopping manor house, owned by the Stonor's in the past.



It holds not only a range of trade stands, the obligatory burger van and Heart FM speakers (HATE 102.7. HATE.) but also the Concourse D'elegance, a setup similar to Stanford Hall but a little more informal where VW lovers enter their pride and joy that their owners have been attached to since the characters entered their lives and hogged their driveways. In addition, there are always an extra non-VW super special vehicle, this year was in the form of a McLaren MP4-12C. Perfection and technologically streets ahead of a Bug. However, the Bug can at least get you from 0-60 in about 2.4 days, quicker than your McLaren when stationary.
Totally non-VW related in everyway, with a 6 litre Mercedes engine.

As always with our show schedule, Doris was once again wheeled out for her report and delivering her account of the event.

"'Wake up sleepy head, put on some clothes, shake up your bed' were the lyrics of choice I decided to wake the family up for the morning of the show as prior to the event, I received a boost in sound quality in the form of some new Sony speakers which I am most pleased with. Coupled with a rechromed stereo from XXXX, I can now please my owners by playing their favourite records via the iPod!

Stonor Park was the first show on the calendar where the show didn't host any drama, although my owners did have food poisoning so one way or another, it's not a show without a problem! I got my owners up to the event safe and sound which was a positive! Although, my thoughts where that the people of Oxfordshire were silly to host a cycle race on the day of Stonor Park's VW Rally as not all of us Bugs and VW's have shiny disc brakes and find it a struggle to slow down.

I got to meet several hundred of my fellow VW companions and we got chatting throughout the day, having a look at each other's engine bays and generally how we are getting on and what improvements we've had. Some of the Bugs were still completely stock, which was impressive to see and I hope they do well in the show. I decided not to enter in this year's Concourse as it's something I prefer not to do, I wouldn't want to steal the limelight and take home all the trophies, that would be unfair.

Jersey registration, once featured in VolksWorld.
The weather was suitable, perfect driving conditions and all around, another great show!

Until next time!"

Thanks Doris, producing yet another cracking show report.

In addition to seeing all the VW's, we met Julie from the Last Edition Register out of the blue. Sting, my next car who joined us in February 2014 is also a Last Edition Beetle and we planned our attack on Stanford Hall for next year through Julie so it was a pleasure to meet her! Julie was representing the Last Edition crew, entering a fantastic looking Last Edition Beetle which in turn only 300 exist. We wish her all the best in the results.
Great to meet the Last Edition Beetle Register owner! A truly remarkable example of an LEB.
Photo's to follow on Pinterest from the show. I didn't take many as I was suffering from food poisoning but I tried my best.
Super-mega rare, a 'Razor-Edge' Karmann Ghia, only 25 of these left!
Overall, great show but I would prefer to suffer a hangover over food poisoning though. 4/5.

Bottom's up!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogroll